The Best and Simplest Mercury Retrograde Communication Tool You’ll Ever Need
Every time Mercury goes retrograde the biggest hurdle to overcome is communication issues. When this planet, which rules communication of all kinds, goes retrograde it can create obstacles in your relationships because of misunderstandings, triggers, fighting, jumping to conclusions, and other miscommunications. Yet, it does not have to be this way. All you have to do is prepare yourself with the right tools to mitigate the retrogrades energy and still have great communication. The following is a useful communication tool that can help during Mercury retrograde and every other part of the year. But first…
What To Be Mindful Of During Mercury Retrograde
Any communication during Mercury retrograde should be done mindfully and patiently. It is best to try to explain yourself fully and clearly every time you speak as if you and the listener are speaking different languages. During Mercury retrograde, it often feels that way. To avoid major outfalls, here are some general triggers to look out for and tips to overcome them.
- Do not start new relationships. Most relationships that begin during Mercury retrograde do not last.
- Do not speak impulsively. You are more likely to upset or offend someone this way.
- Do not jump to conclusions, and be cautiously observing if others are doing the same when you speak.
- Avoid giving mixed messages; be very mindful of what you are trying to express to others.
- Do not cut corners in communication. During Mercury retrograde, it pays off to take your time with what you have to say in order for your message to be heard and understood.
- Do not take anything personally. Other peoples minds may be clouded at this time, and everything they say reflects back to them not you.
- Reunite with old friends who know you well.
- Revisit old relationships in your mind to see if there was a lesson or knowledge you missed.
- Pause and think through what you have to say before speaking.
- Take everything you hear with a grain of salt. There may be a lot of confusion in everyone’s head during Mercury retrograde. Remember these conversations and come back to them to re-assess when the timing is better.
- Stay in touch with your emotions and carefully assess where they lead.
- Forgive, forgive, forgive. Whether it is an old argument or something that someone said during Mercury retrograde, learn to let go of anger—it does nothing to serve you. Also, make sure to forgive yourself if you were the one in the wrong.
#1 Communication Tool: The Three Gates of Speech
Before you speak, let your words pass through three gates:
- At the first gate, ask yourself “Is it true?”
- At the second gate ask, “Is it necessary?”
- At the third gate ask, “Is it kind?”
Often called the three gates of speech, the above passage is an amazing tool to use in all of your communication, and may be especially useful when Mercury is retrograde.
The origins of this communication tool are often linked to Rumi, the ancient mystic poet, but it may have been someone else. Regardless, the message is beautiful, clear, and helpful.
Because Mercury retrograde is known for creating rumors and placing confusion in people’s heads, before speaking ask yourself, “Is it true?” Are you absolutely sure it is true? Or have you heard it once and ran with it, or even worse, jumped to a conclusion when emotionally triggered?
Then ask yourself, “Is it necessary?” It is important to speak with intention during this time. Is what you are going to say going to help someone, or make their life better? Or is saying it not productive and serves nothing but your ego? Truth can also hurt, and is it necessary if there are no practical results to take place?
Finally, ask yourself, “Is it kind?” Emotions can run high during Mercury retrograde and it is not difficult to upset another. No matter what you have to say that is truthful and necessary, there are always different ways of presenting your information. Choose to speak it kindly.
5 Key Archangels You Need to Start Working With Right Now